People usually come into residential aged care via one of two paths:


  1. A person has been receiving home care in their own residence and now their wellbeing is best maintained by moving into a residential aged care home.
    These people are registered with My Aged Care.
  2. An event has occurred. For example, a stroke. The person is now needing care in a residential aged care home. Or, the event can be to their primary carer (often a spouse) leaving the primary carer unable to care for the person in their own home. These people might not be registered with My Aged Care.
How you can get residential aged care

The process of entering residential aged care is reasonably straight forward. Putting these steps into practice can be quite time consuming, so remember that we are here to help you through every step.

  • Step 1. Register with, or contact My Aged Care
    • First you must be registered with the federal government’s My Aged Care (MAC) via their website or by calling 1800 200 422
    • If you’re already registered with MAC, you need to contact them and explain your changing circumstances
    • If you aren’t registered with MAC, you need to do so. They will ask some questions over the phone
  • Step 2. Aged Care Assessment Team
    • If MAC decides that residential aged care may be appropriate, they will organise an Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT) assessment to be completed
    • An ACAT assessment will document the care a person requires and that the government is willing to fund
    • This assessment will specify whether or not residential aged care is appropriate
  • Step 3. Choose Presbyterian Aged Care (PAC) as your aged care provider
    • Once you have your ACAT assessment document, you can look for a residential aged care provider, such as PAC
    • Presbyterian Aged Care will be able to help you evaluate which aged care facility would be best for you or the person you are caring for
  • Step 4. Work out the fees and charges

    Accommodation payments and basic daily fee

    There are various charges that all aged care providers need to apply.

    Some are related to the facility (accommodation payments), and some related to care and every day expenses like heating and food (basic daily fee).

    You can find the accommodation payment for each of PAC’s facilities by clicking here


    There is also a means-tested care fee

    This is assessed by the resident or their carer/relative completing the Centrelink form: “Permanent Residential Aged Care Request for a Combined Assets and Income Assessment”.


    Centrelink can take 4 weeks to process this form once submitted

    It’s important to complete and submit this form early in your process to avoid delays.

    Centrelink’s assessment is valid for 120 days.

    You can move into a PAC facility prior to gaining Centrelink’s assessment. Once Centrelink’s assessment comes through, any fees paid up to that point will be adjusted with either a credit or top up invoice.

    Your future fees will be adjusted to the Centrelink specified level.

    For more information on fees click here

  • A day in one of our residential aged care homes.

    Every day is different in our aged care homes, and there’s always lots going on. You can do as much or as little as you choose.